|Winter at the Bridges Inn (from a previous year)|
If you're uncertain about coming to the Monadnock Region during the winter, there’s plenty to warrant a trip here, and the quaintness and lack of crowds could be a plus. Whether you prefer outdoor activities or staying indoors, the Bridges Inn at Whitcomb House is the perfect starting point for planning your Monadnock Region excursion. You'll enjoy our comfortable guest rooms and our acclaimed breakfasts in the morning. You can check availability and make a reservation online or give us a call at 603-357-6624.
As I write this, in early January, we have little to no snow in in Swanzey, but that will surely change, and portions of the Monadnock Region, particularly at higher elevations do have snow.
For outdoor lovers, there's plenty to do in the Monadnock Region.
- There's skiing at Crotched Mountain, Bennington, NH - daily passes, seasonal passes, special events, lessons, and much more.
- For sleigh rides, contact Iron Kettle Farm in Walpole, NH at 603-762-9168. Reservations are required.
Sleigh Ride photo provided by Iron Kettle Farm, Walpole, NH
- For skiing, Granite Gorge Mountain Park on Route 9 on the Keene/Roxbury line has just re-opened (as of January 15th).
- Pisgah State Park, a 13,300-acre public recreation area located in the towns of Winchester, Chesterfield, and Hinsdale, NH offers trails for snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and hiking. Their website has a map of winter trails and other information.
- 'Getting Lost Together' has featured 5 Places to Snowshoe in the Monadnock Region.
- Keene ICE in Keene has public skating. Check their calendar for open times.
- Monadnock State Park in Jaffrey, offers cross-country skiing and hiking opportunities.
- Dublin School Nordic Center in Dublin has trails designed to be challenging and fun. Contact them to see when the trails are open to the public.
- The Shattuck Golf Course in Jaffrey has trails that are great for cross country skiing and showshoeing. Contact them to see when the trails are open to the public.
- Stonewall Farm in Keene has Horse-drawn Wagon Rides, snowshoeing (bring your own or rent on-site) along their tranquil trail system. Plus there are winter camps for kids during school vacation weeks.
- Keene Ice & Snow Festival, Sunday, February 5, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, a free day of family friendly fun in beautiful downtown Keene.
- Harris Hill Ski Jump, Brattleboro, VT; Friday, February 17 – Sunday, February 19, Ski Jumping Competition offers spectators an opportunity to experience the Olympic sport, featuring jumpers from the US and abroad.
- Wilson Pond Family Ice Fishing Derby, Saturday, February 18, 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Wilson Pond, Swanzey.
A sampling of some events happening this winter...
- Friday, January 13 – Wednesday, January 18, Eva's Promise. The Park Theatre, Jaffrey, NH. On a train to Auschwitz, 17-year-old Heinz Geiringer told his sister Eva that he hid the paintings and poetry he created during his time in hiding beneath the attic floorboards. Heinz made Eva promise if he should die in the camps, she would retrieve the artwork. Today, his story sits in the shadow of the better-known Diary of Anne Frank. Click here for tickets.
- Saturday, January 14, 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM, Recycled Percussion returns to The Colonial Theatre in Keene; show packed full of surprises and crowd favorites in an incredible turbo-charged performance. Click here for tickets.
- Monday, January 16, 10:00 AM, Recovering Black History in the Monadnock Region of New Hampshire, a Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration, at the Historical Society of Cheshire County in Keene. Click here to register.
- Monday, January 16, 5:00 – 6:00 PM, Celebrating Martin Luther King Jr., The Park Theatre, Jaffrey. Click here for details.
- Saturday, January 21, 4:00 PM, Apple Hill String Quartet, Colonial Theatre, Keene. Click Here for tickets.
- Saturday, February 18, 7:00 - 10:00 PM, Nova Arts Block/Brewbakers Cafe, Keene, Mardi Gras Party with Folksoul Band and Point Noire Cajun Band.
- Saturday, February 25, 8:00 PM, Best of Boston Comedy! at The Colonial Theatre in Keene. Click here for tickets.
- March 10, 7:30 PM, American Ballet Theatre Studio Company, at The Colonial Theatre in Keene. Click here for tickets.
- Thinking of trying something different? Consider signing up for a class with Terrapin Glass Blowing Studio in Jaffrey. Register online or call for information or an appointment at (603) 593-5073.
You will find many culinary delights in the Monadnock Region, from casual to upscale and ethnic to American fare. For a listing of places to eat in the region, see our Food and Drink page.
Sometimes a drive through the country can be satisfying, just enjoying the scenery without a destination in mind. Below is a sampling of what you might find in the Monadnock Region.
|Amazing winter photo of a river (1/7/23, Peterborough) by Geoffrey Setttles|
Photo courtesy of Harrisville, N.H. Police Department with caption, “Traffic jam on Nelson Road. Please brake for moose.” 1/5/23